News

Reaction Wheel Jerry Neumann ’88, ’90 SEAS

Reaction Wheel

Jerry Neumann ’88, ’90 SEAS, was an engineer with IBM after earning his MS in EE from Columbia Engineering. He received his MBA from NYU in 1993 then joined Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group. In 2005 he co-founded Root Markets a marketplace that allows consumers to sell their own personal data. In 2008 he founded Neu Venture Capital to invest in early-stage internet companies. He was named one of NYC’s top early stage investors by Business Insider in 2012.  He is a mentor at TechStars NY, Women Innovate Mobile, First Growth Venture Network, and SeedStart and he is an adjunct professor at Columbia Engineering teaching entrepreneurship.

From “About” on the Reaction Wheel Website:
I invest in early stage companies through Neu Venture Capital. Right now I’m in: 33Across, 5071, Bonsai.ai, Clubhouse, Datadog, Datahero, Deconstructed, Emissary, Granify, Informed Data Systems, Karma, Little Borrowed Dress, Magnetic, Metamarkets, PCB:ng, Percolate, PerformLine, PlaceIQ, Powhow, Premise, RevMetrix, Rockerbox, The Trade Desk, Tuition.io, Ufora, Validately, Yieldbot, and Zensight. I am an advisor to BigML, Ginzametrics, Luma Partners, and Sociocast. Portfolio companies that were sold: Lucky Sort to Twitter, Simple to BBVA, Flurry to Yahoo!, Optimal to Brand Networks, Awe.sm to Unified Social, Media Armor to Nomi/Brickstream, and Handipoints to Slide/Google. I also teach a course on entrepreneurship at Columbia University’s engineering school.

When reading, keep in mind that I have so many conflicts of interest that I have conflicts in places where other people don’t even have interests.

The Deployment Age

October 14, 2015

A couple of weeks ago James Gross, co-founder of Percolate, had me speak at their Transition conference. I talked about Carlota Perez, her theories, and the transition to the deployment period that we are currently undergoing. The talk, as I remember it, (plus some stuff I had to cut for time) is below. I’ve also added some additional material as sidenotes.

Perez’ theory describes the path a technological revolution, like the Industrial Revolution, takes and the social, economic and institutional changes that go along with it. The jury is still out on the theory, and there are plenty of reasons to doubt it. But if it successfully predicts what happens over the next ten years it will have in good part proved its power.  (Rest of Blog Post)

In This Article: